A few of the Course Pages that have been customized by instructors or Polk Librarians:
Library Resources for Every Course
- New: 2-Minute Intro Video!
- View course-specific Polk Library resources for every class at UW Oskosh.
- Full-text journals, research databases and more...
- Instructors: Customize the content on your course pages. (To make changes you must access the page from D2L.)
One Click from the Desire2Learn Course Page
The easiest way to find your library course page:
- Log into D2L.
- Click on your course, under "My Oshkosh Courses" at the bottom of the page.
- Click the "Course library page" link in the Polk Library box on the top right.
One Click from Anywhere
Every course has a direct link -- after you enter once via D2L, just bookmark that page or copy the URL from the address bar into an email or any other document.
Browse by Department
There's a shortcut URL for many classes -- it looks something like:
- The department abbreviation is always three letters -- usually just the first three letters of the full name.
- This will only work for classes with a single section.
- If it doesn't work, try loading the class first a different way and then try again later.
Advanced Course Search
If you look up the 5-digit Class Number in TitanWeb, you can enter it here.
Help / Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a question about Polk Library Course Pages or encounter a problem, it may be answered below. If not, please contact us so that we can assist you.
- How do I find the Course Page for my class?
- The easiset way is to open your class page in D2L and use the "Library Course Page" link in the upper right. Click the Overview and Course Search tabs above for other shortcuts.
- How do I request a Course Page be created for my class?
- You don't need to request anything -- the page is automatically created the first time it's accessed, based on a template for your academic department. Just access it through the "Library Course Page" link on your D2L class page.
- What if my class is not a "normal" class at UW Oshkosh?
- If your course is in the TitanWeb registration system, you are all set. Your course page is created based on a template for its academic department.
- If your course has a D2L page but is not in TitanWeb, the instructor must initialize it before any students will be able to view it. This is simple -- just access it from D2L in the normal way, and you will be asked to specify a few bits of information, such as which department's template to start with, so that we can create a useful page for your class.
- If your course is not in D2L, please contact us and we help you figure out the best way to proceed.
- Who can view my course page?
- Anyone with internet access can view the page -- no login is required. However access to certain resources linked from the page, such as reference databases, may be restricted to those with a TitanMail account.
- What web browser is required to use Course Pages?
Customizing your Course Pages
- How do I customize the page for my class?
- Instructions for how to add, remove, edit or re-order the content on your course page appear at the top of the page in a yellow box. When you are looking at the "editor view" of your page, you will see links by each section of the page that instruct you how to change its content.
- Who can customize my course page?
- Unless you request otherwise (see the following question), only the primary instructor for the course as listed in TitanWeb, plus reference librarians at Polk Library, can make changes to your course page.
- Can my graduate students and/or course co-instructors edit my course page?
- Yes, if you (the primary instructor) contact us and ask. Please specify each additional editor's name, UW Oshkosh email address and specifically which class's course pages they should be able to edit. The editors must D2L users, and we highly recommend that they have access to your D2L class pages.
- Can I edit a Course Page from my home computer?
- Yes, you can edit it from anywhere you can log into D2L.
- Can I reuse a page I created for a class in a previous semester?
- Yes. The "Import page content" link in the Customization Tools box allows you to import content from other pages that you or another instructor created, in the current semester or past semesters. Non-editable content such as the "General Course Information" section and traditional and electronic reserves will not be imported, as they are always class-specific.
- Can I copy a page created by another instructor in my department?
- Yes. See the previous answer.
- If I have multiple sections of a class, do I have to customize a separate page for each?
- If you have linked your classes in D2L, they will be linked automatically to
a single library course page. Otherwise, they may be customized separately.
If you want the content to be the same anyway, you have two options:
- You can customize one class and then use the "Import page content" feature on the other's course page.
- You can customize one class and then contact us and ask that we link the pages together so that visitors to the other sections' pages are redirected to the page you have customized. We recommended this only if you plan to make many additonal changes to your course page throughout the semester.
- Can I edit the hard-to-read short name of my course under General Course Information?
- Not yet, but contact us and we will do it for you.
- Can I upload a file such as a PDF or Word document to a course page?
- No, but you can add a link in Recommended Links to a file hosted elsewhere.
- Can I add a search box (rather than a link) to a reference database or external site?
- Currently the only search boxes we support are the Polk Library Catalog, Polk Library Videos, BadgetCat and WorldCat, all under Books & Videos, and Journal Name under Journal, Magazine & Newspaper Articles. But if you want something else, please request it so we know there's interest.
- Can I add links to particular books or journals that I recommend for my class?
- You can add a link to any web page on Recommended Links section of a course page.
- If you have a document hosted elsewhere on the web in which you suggest particular reference books that are available at Polk Library, you can link to this document at the top of the Background Information section.
- You can recommend particular journals in the Instructor's Comments section, and then add a journal name search box to the Journal, Magazine & Newspaper Articles section.
- The search tools available in the Journal, Magazine & Newspaper Articles section include list of relevant journals available through Polk Library in over a dozen subject areas.
For Further Help
- If you have a question about how to customize your page, or if you encounter any problems, please call or email:
- If you find a bug or see an error message:
- Please let us know so that we can fix it. It would help to know what you were doing before it happened, what you clicked, and the approximate time of the incident. Thanks!
- If you are thirsty:
- The developer recommends Snapple® Peach Iced Tea, by whose caffeine and high fructose corn syrup this course tool was created.